In the dark old days when cameras had to be loaded with strange canisters filled with long rolls of chemically coated plastic, I dabbled in developing and printing photographs.
Those were the days when photography had an air of skill needed in order to get the frame right first time.
Those were the days when you never knew if the photograph was going to be any good until days after the event when the moment had gone and could never be recaptured.
Those were the days when something like wedding photography was truly an art and the photographer really had to know what he or she was doing. Of course, no-one could stop them taking as many pictures as they wanted back then but each click of the shutter came at a cost. The film wasn’t cheap and neither was the processing compared to today – and there was no Photoshop to fall back on.
Skip forward to the onslaught of the digital world and the wedding photographer now has the freedom to take thousands of photos at virtually no cost with instant confirmation to set their mind at ease.
So, a few years ago, when a friend asked, “Will you take the photographs for our special day.”
I said, with ease, “I will.”
The day went off without a hitch (apart from the one that joined the Bride and Groom together) and actually turned out to be one of those extra special celebrations everyone loves to be part of.
The photograph tally stretched into 4 figures so there was no problem finding enough to fill the album. The trouble was there were too many shortlisted so a bit of creative filtering was needed.
To make the occasion a little more unique I decided to make the wedding album myself. This way we were not limited to the number of photographs or to any specific size.
The album cover was made of glass and aluminium. The glass started life as a 12 inch square mirror tile. I covered the back of the mirror with sticky plastic backing before cutting a design based on the happy couple’s initials and peeling the remainder away. I then sandblasted the exposed mirror coating to leave the letters ‘A&B’ as the only reflective surface and to give the desired, unique finish.
The edge of the cover was made from a strip of aluminium with the married name and date cut into it. Each page was made from three layers of textured white card with a heart design cut into the edge to frame the photograph. Each page was separated by a film of tissue paper embossed with the married name.
A total of 40 pictures were included in the album with a few collages of more informal shots added towards the end of the album.
In the photographs of the album I have removed the full name and date from the album for privacy. (Photoshop is a wonderful thing).